Google+ wunderbar: Sundress Refashion

Monday, July 2, 2012

Sundress Refashion

Here's another thrift store dress makeover! I picked up this dress because I loved the fabric (a nice swishy rayon), but the style was kinda "meh". I had originally planned to turn it into a skirt, but then I realized a button-up sundress could probably emerge from all that fabric! This is a pretty common dress style and shouldn't be hard to find at a thrift store. Go make one yourself!

Here we go:





I had to take in the sides first. (The picture above was taken after I had pinned!)




Then I had to decide on the height of my neckline. If you can see my yellow headed pins on that fabric, the first pin (from the right) marks where I intend to put a button, the second marking where I will cut across. Make sure you leave enough fabric to hem.




Starting from the armpit, cut across the front of the dress while making a slight arc. Notice I started a bit above the base of the armpit to leave enough fabric to hem (actually, I didn't leave quite enough and had to made it work!).




See the gentle arc? 




On the back, however, I started about an inch above the base of the armpit and cut straight across.




Time to hem the top and bottom.

Because this is a button-up dress, you can unbutton it and hem straight across the top! Awesome, right? 




I sewed a 1/2" hem.




To shorten the bottom, I made a mark while wearing the dress and cut accordingly in another gentle arc (this time I followed the dress's original hemline). I sewed another 1/2" hem.


Have I mentioned how awesome working with a button-up dress is??

To make the straps, I used the fabric I trimmed from the sides. There should, however, be plenty of fabric from the bottom to make straps. My straps are 1/2" x 17".




 I sewed the straps in place twice - once directly over the hemline, and once right on the edge of the fabric. This helps keep the strap from pulling away from the dress.




I decided to have my straps meet at the back center. 



Now what to do about that flappy bit left at the top....

Rather than make a new button hole (though you could), I added a snap above the top button and sewed a button on top of the snap (clear as mud, right?). 


And there you go! I apologize for another horrible self-portrait. I've gotta start making the DH do this for me.






Photobucket





Cherished BlissSweet Anne Designs - Sweet Sharing Monday WhipperberryLovely Crafty HomeI Heart Nap Time



6 comments:

  1. Your dress turned out adorable! I see dresses like this at the thrift store all the time... I might have to pick one up next time and give this a try. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! your dress look adorable,thanks for sharing.
    www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too clever by half. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so impressed. This is adorable and so are you. Thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am visiting from House of Estrela (great shirtdress refash by the way), this sundress refashion is what I have been looking for. I have a Goodwill dress, and an idea in my head but wanted to see a little step-by-step before I cut into it. This is it! Thank you for sharing, I need to get to cutting while the inspiration is HOT!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips